Ever wondered what it takes to create a beautiful, well done cosplay photograph? I had the opportunity to talk with three of the cosplay models from our recent photoshoot to get a better understanding of what it takes to “Level Up” a traditional costume and make the most of a mini photo session in one of the eight new scenes at Earth Illuminated.
As a sideline fan of cosplay yet never trying my hand at it, I am amazed at the time, detail and skills that go into creating a masterpiece. Yes — this tight-knit community is made up of fans! Apart from that, they are models, cosplay photographers, skilled fashion designers, some self taught — basically doing whatever it takes to become masters of their art!
In these one-on-one interviews, I asked about the costumes they chose for the Earth Illuminated photoshoot. While you may recognize Kai’Sa from KDA, League of Legends, worn by the gorgeous “Personify” or Nezuko from Demon Slayer, worn by the elegantly stunning, “Karma”, you may still be wondering who is the pink-haired beauty? It’s Anyssa wearing Queen Krul from Seraph of the End. Anyssa describes all of her creations as, “fashion meets cosplay.” She explains the importance of, “Finding characters that fit your look. Ones that are admired and not scary.”
I also asked these Colorado cosplayers to give some highlights of what made the photoshoot at Earth Illuminated different from other locations?
- Modeling with my friends and seeing each other create art in an environment perfect for them.
- Taking pictures in a beautiful walking studio.
- Being treated like professionals.
I do consider them professionals so I had to find out what tips they could offer to others that want to “Level Up” their cosplay. They were excited to share these nuggets of wisdom:
- Find a way to bridge the gap between fantasy and reality. You can do this with props or specific poses. Get creative!
- Research poses that fit within your character so you’re ready ahead of time.
- You don’t have to make your costume from scratch. Start thrift shopping to pair items you already have in your closet. It doesn’t have to be expensive to be amazing!
- Enjoy the memories you create with your costume and characters — you only live once!
- Include your friends and family!
While I am amazed at the art I see, I didn’t want to miss the heart behind the costume. During my time with “Personify,” they shared the importance of giving back to the community and making a difference using cosplay. This is accomplished through volunteering for a non-profit organization that helps families deal with the financial responsibility of pediatric cancer called Cap for Kids. Their mission is to come alongside these families and help relieve some of the financial burdens associated with cancer treatment, as well as bringing joy to the patients through cosplay. I have to say, Cap for Kids knows what it means to “Level Up”.
The unique experience and backdrop at one of the most Insta worthy places in Denver just begs any artist to create a masterpiece. So, what’s stopping you from leveling up your cosplay by combining it with the beautiful surroundings at Earth Illuminated? Make the time to book your mini photo session and enjoy the one-of-a-kind photos and memories you create!
Images by: Helix Digital Photography